9th European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference
Paper Submission — Invitation, Instructions and General Information
It is a pleasure to invite you to contribute your research and help form the programme of EMBEC 2024, the 9th European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference organized by the Slovenian Society for Medical and Biological Engineering (http://www.dmbts.si/?lang=eng). The Conference of the International Federation of Medical and Biological Engineering (IFMBE) and European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference (EMBEC) will be held in the Congress Centre Bernardin in Portorož, Slovenia, from 9 to 13 June, 2024.
We aim to present all traditional BME areas, but also to highlight new and emerging fields, such as Artificial Intelligence in Health Care, Tissue Engineering, Bioinformatics, Neurotechnology, Electroporation-based Treatments, and Technologies for Medicine and Biology, to name a few. Moreover, we will emphasize the role of education, translational research, and commercialization of new ideas.
- Short Abstract-only submissions without a Full Paper submission, accepted contributions will be published in the Conference Programme and Abstracts Book only;
- Full Paper submissions, to be published in the IFMBE Proceedings (if accepted), where the short abstract submitted electronically is the same as contained within your Full Paper. The abstract of the accepted Full Paper will also be published in the Conference Programme and Abstracts Book.
If you are submitting a Short Abstract only, limitations as to its length are somewhat more relaxed (see below). If you intend to submit a Full Paper, then the abstract as part of the Full Paper is limited to 250 words by the IFMBE Proceedings guidelines, so please make sure to respect this limitation in the length of your abstract that you are submitting separately for inclusion in the EMBEC 2024 Programme and Abstracts Book.
Short Abstract-only Submission Information
These details will be asked of you once you start the submission process. Please review this list and make sure you have all the required answers before starting the submission process.
General required information and format restrictions
Abstract Title — 200 characters limit*.
Authors and Affiliations:
- Identify all authors with full affiliation (institution, address and country), name, last name, email are required fields;
- Identification of the Presenting author (will receive an invitation email to upload presentation/poster a few weeks before the Congress);
- Identification of the Corresponding author (will receive all correspondence concerning submission).
Body of abstract — 3000 characters limit* including spaces, or 400 words, whichever is reached sooner.
Keywords — a minimum of 3, up to 5
Session — You will be able to choose between 1 and 3 sessions (or special sessions), in to which your contribution will fit best. You select the session from the drop-down menu.
*Note that these are hard limits and the submission system will not allow you to exceed them. If you enter the title and the text of your abstract from an existing document using a copy-paste procedure, the system will automatically truncate your entries to the maximum allowed length.Show me the list of regular sessions
- Artificial intelligence in healthcare
- Assistive technologies
- Bioinformatics, computational biology and systems biology
- Biological effects of electromagnetic fields
- Biomedical engineering education & society
- Biomedical engineering in developing countries
- Biomedical imaging and image processing
- Biomedical sensors and instrumentation
- Biomedical signal sensing and processing
- Cellular and tissue engineering
- Clinical engineering
- Electroporation-based treatments and technologies for medicine and biology
- Health technology assessment
- Healthcare informatics
- Image guided therapies and endoscopy
- Implantable devices and artificial organs
- Legislation and standardization
- Medical physics
- Micro- and nanotechnologies in medicine
- Minimally invasive methods in medicine
- Modelling and simulation
- Neuroscience and neuroengineering
- Rehabilitation and prosthetics
- Technologies for active aging
- Technologies for preventive healthcare
- Training and professional development in BME and medical physics
- Wearable and implantable devices
Full Paper Submission Information
The entire submission process is the same as for Short Abstract-only submissions, except that you are additionally required to upload your Full Paper files together with your abstract submission.
General required information and format restrictions
The following applies to the IFMBE Proceedings:
- Recommended paper range is 2000 to 3500 words which amounts to about 6-10 pages. References are included in these limits.
Note that the MINIMUM length of the paper is also prescribed and equals 6 pages.
- Each paper must be submitted with an abstract, keywords, and a conflict of interest declaration.
- Citations should be numbered.
- Basic Reference Style (see attachment) will be implemented by Springer.
- Figures should be saved as TIFF with a minimum resolution of 800 dpi.
Files that need to be uploaded during Full Paper submission:
- Upload the Original MS Word or Latex File (as a ZIP archive if there is more than one source file!) of the Full Paper (based on template).
- Upload the Full Paper in PDF format.
Templates (Word and LaTeX) that you should use in preparation of the above documents can be found here: https://www.embec2024.org/calls/.
Miscellaneous General Instructions
Additional requested information during submission
Please indicate your preferred type of presentation:
- Either oral or poster is fine (default option)
I wish to participate in the competitions:
- None (default option)
- IFMBE Young Investigator competition*
- IFMBE Scientific Challenge competition**
*Note: A Young Investigator is a person under and up to the age of 35 (at submission deadline date) working in the field of biomedical engineering and science. Young investigator must be the first author of a full paper and must present the work in person to be eligible for the award.
**Note: You have to register for the Challenge using the website https://www.embec2024.org/calls/ and submit your solution in due time.
Invitation letter for Visa required:
- No (default option)
Important notes to observe
All papers must contain original work that has not been published or presented on previous occasions.
Papers must be submitted in English.
Please check spelling and grammar carefully. All papers will be published as submitted.
Use generic names. Commercial drug names may not be used.
Abstract/Paper Limit: Abstracts and Full Papers should each be supported by a participant registering for the Conference. There will be an Additional Abstract/Paper Fee if you wish to present several works at the Conference!
Visa Information — Abstracts submitted from outside the Schengen Area
International abstract submitters who plan to attend the 9th European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference may need to apply for a VISA to travel to the meeting in Portorož, Slovenia (EU). For more information on visa requirements, please go to https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/. Please be aware that the time required to obtain a VISA may be substantial. An invitation letter will be sent to abstract submitters (upon acceptance of their submission!) that have checked “Yes” that a letter is needed upon receiving their abstract submission.